Making the decision to convert from tape to hotmelt adhesives comes with many major advantages. If you are running a high speed packaging line and need to produce large volumes, hotmelt will allow you to optimise your packaging process. Adding to this, a liquid adhesive is often thoughts to provide a stronger bond than standard adhesive tape and they can offer a range of additional benefits which are listed below:-
- Cost – One of the biggest benefits of using hotmelt adhesives over tape is the cost savings involved. In general, hotmelt can cost anywhere between 60% and 80% less than tape machines for the same number of packages.
- Efficiency – using hotmelt offers near uninterrupted sealing with limited need for reloading, thus reducing downtime. In contrast, tape machine and handheld tape guns require frequent roll changes which slow down production. Hotmelt, however, can be topped up when the tank is getting low. Downtime due to snapped tape is also eliminated when using hotmelt.
- User friendly advantage – packages sealed with tape must be cut open by the receiver, often destroying the packaging and adding an extra step to access the product. Using hotmelt allows you to pull the packaging open without a need for additional tools.
- Appearance – hotmelt adhesives are hidden under flaps in the packaging which provides a clear surface for any logo’s, labels etc. In turn, this enhances the final image of the finished product and provides a neat, professional looking package to send to customers, with no cracks or folds.
- Tamper-proof – when sealed with tape, packaging could be tampered with and resealed without the customer’s knowledge. Hotmelt can reduce this risk as the seals will cause fibre tears if any attempt is made to open the package.
- Structural Integrity – hotmelt provides a strong, rigid bond which helps in making the packaging sturdy for transport.
- Speed – using a hotmelt tank enables the application of glue at a faster pace than that of handheld application, thus increasing the production output and decreasing assembly times.
- Flexibility – Hotmelt applications allow the adhesive to bond a large variety of materials and packaging shapes easily, as opposed to manually taping a complicated package.
- Sustainability – Essentially, tape is just a layer of pressure sensitive adhesive along with a plastic backing paper. Using hotmelt removes this layer of plastic making it more economically friendly by creating less wastage.
Every application is different depending on the products being made and the manufacturing environment. Here at Interlock Adhesives, our friendly team can help you find the right hotmelt for you and your business, so contact us today to find out more!